ABOUT FUCKING TIME!

Phew. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be a good writer.
And like I said, I'm trying to finish at least part 2 within the year. And things should speed up considerably starting next chapter.

Friday 13 June 2008

Helsinki, 5.

Friday.

On Friday I left home in the afternoon to get some investigating done before picking up Kielo from her apartment. Today she would be going out to dinner, followed by few hours in a night club, so I would have my hands full. Especially if she decided to relax after work the same way as last night. I suspected so, considering that we would already be in a night club when her date ended.

But anyway, before all that I wanted to see if I could find out anything about this vampire she had after her. Even though I had pretty much gotten out of the killing game and didn’t keep up too well with all the creatures of the night, I still knew a few people who could give me information. It would have been better to conduct these investigations in the night, but since the dark hours were taken by watching Kielo I had little choice but try to track someone down during the afternoon.

And to do that, I would have to take the bus.

The horror!

I am a very good driver, I have been driving different cars almost since they were invented. But since I was living this life right in the middle of Helsinki, with everything I needed within walking distance, I hadn’t bothered to buy one. I rarely ventured out of the city; I guess I had become a kind of a recluse.

I have nothing against buses, quite the contrary: whenever I have to ride in one, I love to look out the windows at the passing scenery –or night skies- and let my mind wander. It’s just the other people in there that annoy me, especially after the cell phone was invented. Finns are quiet by nature, even when a bus or train is full of people they tend to be in their own little worlds. But with cell phones they can babble on constantly and still be alone. And the beeping!

But this was my first job in ages, and I wanted to do it properly. So I must be brave and ride the bus.

The new bus terminal reminded me of a beehive, bustling with people running and walking around, in and out of numerous small and large shops and restaurants. It was a task of Herculean proportions in itself just to find out which bus I should take to get to where I was going, but I eventually managed –feeling quite proud of myself- and found the right gate for it. I felt very awkward, the last time I had done this the bus station and all the terminals had been above ground. At least the sun didn’t reach me down here, underground.

It was late enough in the afternoon that people were getting off from work, so the bus was as full as it could be. I hadn’t thought of that, and now cursed my short sight as a teenage girl sat next to me, explaining her whole dramatic day to a friend over her pink phone. If only it had a cord I would have strangled her with it.

It took almost half an hour to reach the suburb where my old friend was living. I remembered the right stop to get off on and headed through a large gathering of apartment buildings. I couldn’t remember half of them from last time. The thought occurred to me that my friend could have moved away since I last saw him. I cursed myself again, wondering how I had gotten so rusty.

To my luck and immense relief, there still was a familiar name on a familiar door. I rang the bell three times before I could hear loud swearing and uneven footsteps approach the door. A few locks clicked and the door opened slightly, held tight by a safety chain above which a bloody pale eye stared at me blearily from an even paler face.

“What do you… oh, it’s you. Hey! You!” Sleepiness disappeared immediately and wariness was replaced by a lecherous smile. “Hold on, I’ll let you in.”

“Thanks Alby.” I muttered as the door was closed again and the safety chain rattled. Within seconds I was invited in to a dark apartment smelling of smoke –tobacco and other- alcohol and sex. For a moment I thought I could smell the perfume Kielo wore, but then it was gone. It must have lingered on my own clothes.

Speaking of clothes, a lot of them, belonging to both sexes, were scattered all over the floor. Good to see that some things never change. I said as much out loud as I looked at my tall, pale friend who laughed as he picked up a discarded shirt and pulled it on.

Alby is a creature of the night without being one of us. He never goes out at daytime, and because of that and generous genes, his skin is almost milky white. The dark brown hair makes him look even paler. He can barely see without a thick pair of glasses or contact lenses. He’s not wearing glasses today, so it must be the latter. He’s tall and lanky, with a charming smile that can woo the pants off most ladies. He’s taught me a trick or two over the near decade we have known each other.

Most importantly, Alby is well connected within the vampires and other non-humans of Finland, thanks to having a few ex-girlfriends among them. And he knows what I am and how I used to make a living.

“Notice anything new about me?” he asked after he had managed to pull on some pants as well. I looked him over to see that he was putting on a bit of weight and that his hair was longer than last time. I doubted he meant either of those, though.

“Can’t say I do.”

He pointed at his eyes as we walked towards the kitchen. On the way he pulled the bedroom door closed. Obviously there was someone still sleeping in there. “I’m not wearing my glasses. Got the operation done. I can see almost perfectly without any glasses now.”

“That’s brilliant.”

“Fuck yeah it is. Do you have any idea how unsexy it was when I took my glasses off and started licking in the wrong place?” Alby laughed at his own words. I thanked him for the mental image.

We chatted a little while he brewed coffee, catching up on each others lives. Once we both had a cup of joe strong enough to melt a spoon in front of us, it was time to get into business.

“Not that I mind seeing your pretty face, but what brings you here? If this was just a social call you would have called me.”

“Smart boy.”

“I try.”

“I got this job protecting a pretty girl from a bad vampire, and I figured I ought to get some information on the bad guy. And with you being such a smart boy, I thought you might help me.” I said quietly, not wanting to be overheard in case whoever was in the bedroom wasn’t sleeping.

Alby nodded and spread his arms. “Let’s hear it then.”

Kielo had given me a description of the vampire after I had agreed to work for her, so I passed that on to Alby. “It’s a foreign guy. He can speak Finnish, but he has a very strong accent. She suspected east-European. A pale guy, tall with long blond hair, bleached. No scars or facial marks, seven studs in the right ear, none in the left. Almost six foot tall, thin, wore a dark red leather jacket.”

Alby was nodding to my words, his forehead wrinkling a little with the frown he wore. Just to tease me he took a long sip from his coffee before opening his mouth.

“I know the guy. Haven’t met him myself, but I know some people who have. He came to Helsinki a couple of years ago and soon gathered an entourage of some weaker vamps and wannabe kids. He’s keeping enough of a low profile though that the big guys haven’t bothered with him. He likes to be called Dorian, but I doubt that’s his real name. I can give you names of his mates as well.”

“Thanks, that’d be good.” I nodded and pulled out my notebook. He gave me a short list of names and descriptions, some of them familiar, most not.

“He’s a bit of an idiot, but obviously has enough charisma to pull all these kids to him.” Alby continued and lit a cigarette. “From what I hear, the big guys are keeping an eye on him, but aren’t really worried. His kind of people come and go. So why does this guy want your little client then?”

“She told me she found out he was a vampire, and now he wants to talk to her to get her to keep quiet about it. But his friends are following her around, threatening her. So I’m there to watch her back.”

“I thought you’d given all that up…” Alby smirked into his mug and I shrugged.

“Like I told her, not much need for my services anymore. But it’s a change.”

“I guess. Good luck with it.” He said with a shrug. The following brief silence was broken by muffled giggling and words from the bedroom. I raised an eyebrow at Alby who was smirking again.

“Not the twins again, Alby?”

“No. They’ve moved onto bigger and better things than me, I’m afraid.”

He didn’t seem too concerned of the fact despite his words. No wonder if he had two people waiting for him in bed. “I’m jealous.”

“You ought to be!” he laughed, rocking in his chair.

We spent maybe another twenty minutes chatting about this and that before I started to head back towards the city itself. I suspect that Alby went back to bed as well as soon as he locked the door behind me.

The bus towards the central was emptier than the one I’d taken earlier, and I could reread the list of names he’d given me in peace. They were all small fry, according to him and to my limited knowledge. But they were still vampires, and even if this Dorian was some sort of a leader to the lot, it would be smart to keep an eye out for them.

Once I reached the bus terminal again I still had some time before picking Kielo up. Alby had given me enough information that I didn’t see the need to go and bother someone else, so I headed home to feed Buttercup and to change my clothes. The smells from Alby’s apartment had stuck to them.

At half past seven I was standing in my nicest pair of jeans outside Kielo’s apartment building. Underneath my black jacket I had a sleeveless red shirt, perfect for the night club but casual enough that I wouldn’t look out of place whilst stalking the restaurant.

“Oh good, you’re here already!”

I’d heard the footsteps in the staircase but hadn’t expected it to be Kielo yet, so she managed to startle me a little. I turned around to see her, and lost ability to speak.

This was going to be some date, I could tell.

She had done her wispy hair up in the back, and soft curls framed her face. She was dressed in a light blue sleeveless dress which ended halfway through her shapely thighs, which were encased in slightly shimmering skin-tone stockings. Her high-heeled shoes were the same colour as the dress. They were decorated with a few white pearls, and she had pearl earrings and necklace as well. Simple and classy and very beautiful.

“Wow.” I finally managed, oh so eloquently. Kielo laughed and blushed a little.

“I take it I look all right then?”

“Oh yes. Your date is a lucky guy.”

“Thanks. And if I’m lucky, he won’t be a total bore. Come on then, can’t keep the paying customer waiting!”

Such a warm Friday evening had brought out a lot of people. The tables outside pubs and restaurants were as full as they could be, and teenagers were prowling the streets in groups. The air was full of scents, almost intoxicating. There was so much life everywhere, it reminded me why I loved living here.

During the winter months the city was in a state of hibernation, but when spring came on like this, everything about it came to life. Even the buildings seemed fresh and breathing after spending the day sucking in the warm rays of the sun. Flowers bloomed and leaves in the trees were budding.

Spring doesn’t hit Helsinki as early as in more southern parts, but when it does, it hits hard.

“What are you thinking about?”

I must have jumped a little to make Kielo laugh like that. I hadn’t realized I’d fallen so badly into my own thoughts. Feeling a little embarrassed I just shrugged and walked on by her side.

We arrived in good time at the small café where I would be spending the first part of the evening. The restaurant Kielo and her date would be was again just on the other side of the street. She got us a table by the window –apparently no one could say no to that dress- and we went over the plan for the evening. It was simple enough; I’d wait here while they ate and then tail them to the club. I told her what I had found out from Alby, and she recognized Dorian and a few of his friends from the descriptions, which confirmed that he and I had been talking about the right guy.

As it got closer to eight o’clock Kielo left my company, leaving behind the scent of her perfume. I watched as she crossed the boulevard and waited for a few minutes outside the restaurant before her date arrived. They entered the classy joint and I settled back with a cup of tea to watch and wait.

People passed by the window all of the time, drunk and sober, happy and moody, in a hurry or walking leisurely. The sun fell lower and lower behind buildings before finally disappearing completely for the night. I was on my third cup of coffee and second pastry –I had eaten more this two evenings than I usually eat in a week!- when Kielo and her date left the restaurant after eleven. I chucked the coffee into my mouth and took with me what was left of the pastry and exited the café before they got out of sight. I knew where they were going, and I doubted anyone would try something while she had company, but I still didn’t want to lose sight of them.

The streets were still packed even though the youngest teenagers had gone home already. People didn’t want to go back in after spending the winter evenings cooped up inside four walls. I could easily understand that, and didn’t mind the crowd. Safety in numbers after all.

The walk to the night club was short. The line outside it was long. It was almost midnight when we finally got in. There were a few people between us in the line, so I lost sight of them momentarily, but managed to find Kielo and her date within a few minutes even when the club was so full.

Music inside the club was loud and energetic, and my body was urging me to dance to its beat. Kielo and the man were standing near the dance floor with some of his friends so I indulged myself a little. Not a bad choice; the music was good and the view from the floor even better. And I was less obvious with watching them when I wasn’t just standing and staring like an idiot.

From the bored look on Kielo’s face every time he looked away I could guess that the date had not been an exhilarating one. She caught my eye every now and then, and the pleading look in her eyes made me smirk a little.

I’d danced to my heart’s content when Kielo was finally set free. She was by my side in a matter of seconds after walking the man and his friends out of the club, throwing her arms into the air and screaming with relief. I laughed and caught her hips with my hands, bringing her close to me to dance. My actions were a surprise to me as well, but we both took them in stride and enjoyed the music for the while.

After a few more good songs we headed for the bar. I stuck with beer again and Kielo downed a few of her umbrella drinks. The music was too loud to talk comfortably or without being overheard, so I just followed Kielo’s lead as she relaxed by dancing and drinking. My bold move earlier seemed to have encouraged her, and she dragged me to the dance floor no matter whether the music was fast or slow. Her hands wandered first shyly but found more courage the later it got, and I certainly didn’t object. Not even when her lips, tasting of strong alcohol, found my beer-stained ones during the last slow song of the evening.

We left the dance floor hand in hand, but had to let go when we got our coats. Once we were out I was a bit too self-conscious to catch her hand again, but she didn’t have such problems. Giggling, she leaned her arm to mine as we headed somewhere, I wasn’t exactly sure where. Meaning that I didn’t know where our feet were taking us. I certainly could imagine where other parts were heading.

We didn’t get far, though. Once we left the street where the club was, and the people still gathered by its doors, the darkness engulfed us and I realized how quiet the path in front of us was. Kielo’s lips however were tickling my ear, so when the shadows came alive in front of us I was still pulling my knife out. Kielo let out a surprised scream when she saw the two vampires suddenly in front of us, their poses threatening even when they made no actual move to attack.

“Did Dorian send you two goons?” I asked, managing to keep my voice steady. I certainly hoped they wouldn’t try anything, it had been a while since I had been in a fight, but it wouldn’t do to let my nervousness show. Kielo got a hold of herself as well, and of my shoulder.

“We’re just making sure she doesn’t leave town before meeting with Dorian.” One of them said, pointing at Kielo. She hesitated for a moment before nodding.

“I said I would. I gave my word.”

“We won’t touch you since Dorian told us not to.” The second one said. “But if it weren’t for that, I’d rip your throat open to make sure you stay silent.”

“You wouldn’t get a chance, little punk.” I said, waving my knife like a scolding finger. The man sneered at me before taking a closer look. Then his eyes grew wide.

“I’ve heard of you.” The first one said to me. ”You’d best keep out of this. It’s between her and Dorian.”

“Don’t worry, I’m just here to make sure nothing happens to her so that Dorian can meet her.” I explained, tilting my head a little in a mock-bow.

“Until next Friday, then.” The first one, clearly smarter, said and the pair of them disappeared back into the shadows. Kielo and I stood there for a long while, calming our beating hearts and shaking knees.

“So…” she finally said after clearing her throat, “if there’s no killing to be done, do you still want to have sex with me?”

It was probably not the smartest thing to do. But she was really hot.

Since we were closer to my apartment, that’s where we went. There really was no stopping us. The adrenaline from all the dancing and drinking was only amplified by the attack attempt, no matter that it had gone so peacefully. Still, we were half running once we got moving, and were at my door within ten minutes. I managed not to fumble with the keys too much, and locked the door securely after we were in. Jackets and shoes were discarded on the floor, followed by other garments before we stopped in my living room and Kielo claimed my lips again.

She tasted like strawberries; must have been the alcohol she’d been drinking. I caught her arms with my hands, which startled her and our contact broke.

“You have really cold hands.” She said, laughing a little. I felt the goose bumps of her skin underneath my fingers.

“Sorry. Bad blood circulation.”

“We better warm them up then before they go anywhere else…” Kielo grinned and caught one of my hands between hers, warming it, blowing warm air on my fingers. It sent a cool shiver up my bare arms, and I stood on my toes to kiss her again. Our height difference wasn’t so noticeable when she wasn’t wearing her high heels, but it was still there. It didn’t matter, though, not when she wrapped her arms first around my neck and then slid them down my back, her fingernails scratching me a little even through the fabric of my shirt.

Whatever objections I might have had to getting involved like this with a client, I forgot all of them. Buttercup ran hissing into the living room as I guided Kielo into my bed.

2 comments:

Arielle Fragassi said...

Oooh, it's getting steamy!

You ended it at the worst time, though...now I gotta wait!

:P

Anonymous said...

I have to say, you've got a very intriguing and most definitely sexy story here! Keep it up!